look

Thursday, August 19, 2010

A Russian PPA 56 Challenge











Hi dear Stampers.

Today's card was inspired by a Russian photo posted on Pals Paper Arts Challenge. Their challenge site has a elgant, classy new look. Congratulations PPA. I love your new site.

My mom is actually in Russia right now. She goes there about 3 times a year. She loves the country and it's people. Since she was a little child she dreamed about helping the Prisoners in Russia who were there because they had faith in God. This all changed in Russia now, but she still has a deep love and passion for prisoners and ex-prisoners. She is helping to set up a rehabilitation house for about 15 people where they can stay after they come out of prison. It's so hard for these people to start up a new life. In this new home they can have the time to connect to the 'outside world', find a job, get new friends, reconnect to their family and work. I am so proud of my mom and dad and on how they have worked so hard to make this happen. Together of course with many other amazing people.

Do you see the Russian Samovar in the picture that PPA 56 posted? This Samovar is a huge part of the Russian tea culture. It is a metal container that is used for heating up water. This water is then poured over some concentrated tea. This Samovar has a special place in our home.

You know, my love for making cards started with Russia in mind. My mom would send about 10 cards each day..(seriously..each day) to encourage prisoners who were in prison because of their faith in God. She would write them to let them know that they were not forgotten. That someone in Holland was thinking of them. I was the one who was making the cards fro her. I loved doing that. And the prisoners would sometimes write back. she knew the language.. I only know a little Russian. She would also write the President each week a letter about the injustice that was happening to these families. And she would write specifically about one man that was there . Year after year each week. And one day.. this man was released from prison. He later told my mom, that nobody in that prison could explain to him why he was released. Nobody understood it. It came from higher up they said. So instead of 20 more years in prison, he could go home. My mom and us have our happy thoughts about this one. If you know what I mean. (smile) God is good. He seeks justice for the poor and the orphans, the widows and the prisoners. It is good to have compassion for them and to reach out!

Wow.. all that writing, because of this one gorgeous picture. Thanks PPA :)

Anyway.. So here is my card. Stampin Up offered this cute cute Russian Matryoshka stamp set about half a year ago. It is a set of dolls of decreasing sizes, placed one inside the other. I had to use this set for my challenge today. Please refer to the many pictures I took for more details. I hope they help you to see all the wonderful details.

Ja ljubliju tebja (I love you in Russian) Mama Atie. I wish I could be there to pick you up from Schiphol when you're coming back to Holland in a couple of days.

Dos Widanja (See you later in Russian) everyone and thanks for stopping by.

6 comments:

  1. What a great card and such an inspiring story about your mom. Thanks for sharing.

    ReplyDelete
  2. This card and your story touch my heart deeply as my husband and I spent 3 months in Palatka Siberia as support missionaries several years ago. Thank you for making this beautiful card and blessings and joy to your Mom as she goes about the Lord's work.

    ReplyDelete
  3. Pauline,
    What a beautiful card and an such inspirational story about your mom. It makes me smile to know that there are great people like her in the world doing so much to help others. :) Have a great day!
    Anne Marie

    ReplyDelete
  4. Wonderful post, Pauline! I loved reading about your mother and her work in Russia! Your card is beautiful! Thanks for playing @ the new PPA!

    ReplyDelete
  5. Wow, what a wonderful card, post, and music on your blog! So glad you played with us at PPA! Look forward to seeing lots more from you!

    ReplyDelete
  6. This is so sweet, Pauline! AND I have a Russian missionary friend who writes to me in English....now I can write to HER in Russian...at least a little bit! Your story is so inspiring. It helps when I am feeling discouraged to know that the Lord always completes His work, even when we don't see it. You and your mother are amazing! What a wonderful work you've done in the name of Christ!

    ReplyDelete

Thanks so much for leaving your comment. Enjoy the rest of your day! Take care, Pauline